The pandemic has had a broad impact on the global supplement market as consumers become more concerned about their health. Demand for products to support immune-health and related needs to support healthy sleep, mental health and overall well-being has increased since 2019. Consumers pay more attention to immunological health materials, and the health promotion effect of immunological health products is more widely recognized.
Immune-health is driving the supplement market
Innova noted that immunological health is a hot spot in supplement development globally, with 30% of new dietary supplement offerings in 2020 being immune-related. New product development grew at a cagR of +10% from 2016 to 2020 (compared to 8% for all supplements). Kerry shows that globally, more than one in five consumers (21 percent) say they are interested in buying immune-health supplements. The numbers were even higher in food and beverage categories usually associated with healthy living, such as fruit juices, dairy drinks and yogurt.
In fact, immunization support is the number one reason to buy nutritional health products, with as many as 39% of consumers having used immunization health products in the past six months and another 30% will consider doing so in the future, representing an overall potential of 69% of the immunization health market. That interest will remain high for years to come as the epidemic is gaining attention.
There is a high level of interest in the health benefits of immunity, and Kerry's research shows that global consumers are concerned about bone and joint health in addition to immune health, and take their concerns as the primary reason to buy healthy lifestyle products.
While consumers in every region surveyed identified immune health as their top reason for purchasing healthy products, interest in complementing immune health is growing in other states where it is in demand. Sleep products, for example, increased by nearly two-thirds in 2020; Emotional/stress products increased by 40% in 2020.
At the same time, immunological health claims are often used in conjunction with other claims, and the growth of such "dual action" products is particularly rapid in the cognitive and child health categories. Similarly, the link between mental health and immune health is widely recognized by consumers, so health benefits such as stress relief and sleep dovetail with immune claims.
Which herbal extracts are growing fast?
Innova predicts that immune supplements will continue to be the most popular product category, especially vitamin and mineral products. So opportunities for innovation may lie in mixing familiar ingredients such as vitamins and minerals with new, potentially promising ingredients. These may include plant extracts with antioxidant properties that have become ingredients of interest in immune health.
The market for plant-based supplements is booming especially in the Asia-Pacific region, the Middle East and Africa, where herbal ingredients have long been an important part of health. Innova reported a cagR of 118% for new supplements claiming to contain plant-based ingredients in 2019-20.
In recent years, green coffee extract and guarana have increased. Other fast-growing ingredients include South African drunken eggplant extract (+59%), olive leaf extract (+47%), Acanthopanax acanthopanax extract (+34%) and elderberry (+58%).